Today I hand over the reins of CFHW to Sarah from the Sainsbury’s Bank Money Matters Blog for her to bring you her essential car anthems for those long car trips with your family.
Driving is so much more enjoyable when you’ve got some good music playing – it really needs to get you and everyone else in the car in a good mood as you motor along.
That’s why a few well-chosen (and slightly cheesy!) car anthems are an essential addition to your playlist. Here are our top ten favourites…
1) Nickelback – How you remind me: A good, family-friendly, head-banging classic to get everyone playing air-guitar and singing loudly (we obviously don’t advise that the driver joins in with the air guitar bit!).
2) The B-52’s – Love Shack: Oh yes, an absolute classic that the oldies remember from when it was originally released and the kids remember from the last school disco. It’s guaranteed to even get the grandparents in a good mood!
3) Queen – We are the Champions: The kids love this one – especially the boys. Excellent for turning up loud and singing along to with pride.
4) John Lenon – Imagine: This is a great song for traffic jams, when you can take time to watch all of the people around you and consider the greater things in life. So next time you get stuck in traffic, don’t get frustrated – just sit back and listen to Lennon’s words of wisdom.
5) Nirvana – Smells like Teen Spirit: Always a hit with the teenagers, this is a must for the would-be rockers out there. Transport yourself back to your youth in a single car journey!
6) Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody: Another Queen number that you’ve simply got to love. And, at a full five minutes and 55 seconds, it will definitely take you all the way from A to B on those shorter journeys.
7) Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor: This high-paced almost-a-classic is great for motorway driving. Get the kids to pull their best Saturday Night dance moves in the back seat!
8) Frank Sinatra – Come Fly With Me: This smoothy number is a great singalong classic that all ages will enjoy. You might only be nipping to the shops, but you’re flying to the moon when listening to this number.
9) Nizlope – The JCB Song: Every boy’s dream song, you’ll have them fantasising about tractors and karate kicks in no time. And let’s face it, it is the cutest song ever.
10) Stealer’s Wheel – Stuck in the Middle With You: Hilarious when you’ve got three kids in the back seat, you’ll have them pointing out the clowns and the jokers in no time. The ultimate song to listen to with the whole family in the car.
Sarah Leverton writes for Sainsbury’s Bank Money Matters blog on topics such as car insurance, child safety and affordable driving. She also writes for a variety of other publications, covering a wide range of topics from sailing to health and lifestyle.