It’s that time of year again – the Great British Bake Off is back on the telly which means the Great Bloggers Bake Off is back on CFHW!
I was a little pleased to hear that they are taking things back to basics a step with this series as last year things were getting a bit scary – though I still did the best I could.
First week was Cake Week and the challenges were Drizzle Cakes, Jaffa Cakes and Mirror Glaze Showstopper Cakes – all of which are things I have never made before.
Mirror Glazes looked a bit terrifying so I wrote that off, Jaffa Cakes are potentially my least favourite type of cake in the world ever (chocolate and orange, bleurgh!) so they were never going to happen – which left me with a Drizzle Cake.
Never one to make things easy for myself, I decided that for my very first Drizzle Cake ever, I would make one up. The tablets I am currently taking mean I am currently going sober which means I am missing my favourite tipples – this may have inspired me to try the cake I did:
It was actually very simple to make and is very yummy – although I think I could have used a bit more vodka in the drizzle to give it a bit of a kick. The sponge was evenly baked and for the first time ever I managed to make the icing to the right consistency on my first try which I may have done a little dance about in the kitchen.
Vodka & Coke Drizzle Cake
Ingredients For The Cake:
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 60g Ground Almonds
- 125g Butter, softened
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Vodka
Ingredients For The Drizzle:
- 125ml Coca-Cola
- 25ml Vanilla Vodka
Ingredients For Decoration:
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp Cold Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Vodka
- Fizzy Cola Bottles
- Popping Candy
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/160°C Fan
- Grease and line a loaf tin
- Mix all the cake ingredients together until they form a smooth batter
- Spoon batter into loaf tin and smooth the top
- Bake for approximately 1 hour (start checking after about 55 minutes)
- Once cake has cooled slightly, remove from tin to a wire rack
- Place wire rack over a tray with sides
- Spike top of cake all over cake with a skewer
- Pour the vodka and coke drizzle over the still warm cake and leave to soak in and cool
- In a small bowl mix the icing sugar, cold water and vanilla vodka
- Drizzle icing over the top of the cooled cake and decorate with fizzy cola bottles and popping candy
The Great Bloggers Bake Off 2016 is hosted by Jenny at Mummy Mishaps and is sponsored by Tesco.
If you want to see what all the other GBBO Bloggers have been baking this week then CLICK HERE to see them.