I am turning 29 next month, which means next year I’m going to have to go round all my social media and change the ‘twenty-something’ that has served me well for the last ten years to ‘thirty-something’ instead. Sigh. Effort.
It also means I feel like I should *do* something with this final period of twenty-somethingness. So why not 30 somethings, just for fun?
I will aim to update this page with how I’m doing on each thing as I go along. So you can cheer me on, or something.
EDIT: I have changed a couple of things from my original list because Life decided they were impractical. That’s all fine, I like to roll with the punches. I’ll still do 30 things in the end!
Here we go:
1. Read 30 books that are new to me:
- Second Lives by Scott K. Andrews, 4*
- One Italian Summer by Keris Stainton, 5*
- Release by Patrick Ness, 5*
- 1984 by George Orwell, 3*
- Animal Farm by George Orwell, 3.5*
- The Last Wild by Piers Torday, 5*
- Kook by Chris Vick, 4.5*
- Mama’s Boy and Other Dark Tales by Fran Friel, 2.5*
- Power Game by Christine Feehan, 3*
- Coping With Life After Stroke by Dr. Mareeni Raymond, 4*
- Cogheart by Peter Bunzl, 5*
- The Little Shop Of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan, 4*
- The Hunter’s Kind by Rebecca Levene, 4*
- Here I Stand by Amnesty International (Various Authors), 5*
- SweetFreak by Sophie McKenzie, 3*
- S.T.A.G.S. by M. A. Bennett, 5*
- Fire Colour One by Jenny Valentine, 5*
- The Things We Learn When We’re Dead by Charlie Laidlaw, 4*
- One Of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- The Call by Peadar Ó Guilín, 5*
- Rivers of London: Body Work by Ben Aaranovitch, 5*
- The House Of Doctor Dee by Peter Ackroyd, 3*
- Life On The Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers, 4*
- Death In The Stars by Frances Brody, 4*
- Night Of Cake And Puppets by Laini Taylor, 5*
- Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill, 4*
- La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman, 5*
- Turtles All The Way Down by John Green, 4*
2. Watch 30 films that are new to me
- Speed (1994), 4.5*
- Captain America: Civil War (2016), 4*
- Clue (1985), 4.5*
- Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (2016), 4*
- Below Her Mouth (2016), 2.5*
- Wonder Woman (2017), 4*
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), 4*
- Cars 3 (2017), 4*
- Lego Batman (2017), 2*
- Nerve (2016), 4*
- Moana (2016), 4*
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage (2017), 3.5*
- Baywatch (2017), 4.5*
- Pixels (2015), 4*
- Wind River (2017), 3*
- Kubo & The Two Strings (2016), 3.5*
- Rogue One (2016), 5*
- The Last Jedi (2017), 5*
- Jack Frost (1998), 3*
- Shaun the Sheep (2004), 4*
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017), 5*
- Kingsman – The Golden Circle (2017), 4*
- King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword (2017), 4*
Acquire Scrabble and teach the kids to play it
Arthur made a kite at Beavers and we took it to the park on the next windy day and flew it together!
5. Walk up Snowdon
Visit 10 new-to-me National Trust/English Heritage properties/estates/sites
- Haughmond Abbey, English Heritage
- Acton Burnell Castle, English Heritage
- Wenlock Edge, National Trust
- Shugborough Estate, National Trust
- Buildwas Abbey, English Heritage
- Wenlock Priory, English Heritage
- Benthall Hall, National Trust
- Cantlop Bridge, English Heritage
- Beeston Castle, English Heritage
- Clun Castle, English Heritage
7. Have a spa day
8. Visit Hawkestone Park and climb to the top of the tower
9. Complete 3 cross-stitch cards
10. Make 3 new-to-me cocktails (and drink them, obviously)
11. Cycle 50 miles in total (not all at once!)
Running total: 6.96miles
12. Eat out at 10 different restaurants
- River Thai, Shrewsbury
- Linkwood Lodge, Elgin
- The Featherbed, Shrewsbury
- The Royal Botanical Gardens, Edinburgh
13. Eat something I have grown myself.
14. Get my tattoo done (anyone know anyone who is good at drawing dandelions?)
Enter a virtual race, raise money for charity & get a funky medal.
- I have signed up to do either 5k, 10k or half marathon distance either running, walking or hiking during the month of June 2017 in aid of The Stroke Association.
- On June 3rd I completed a hike around and over Brown Clee Hill that was a little over 10km. (I took Caius with me, it was fun.)
- Funky Super Mario medal received!
- Signed up for a second 10k hike in November with my Mum!
- November walk done.
- Funky Direwolf medal received!
Make 5 new-to-me savoury recipes
- Shiitake Mushroom Risotto with Green Beans (and chicken nuggets to appease the kids!)
- Sang Choi Bao Turkey
- Campfire Stew (forgot to take a photo!)
- Brazilian-Style Fried Rice Cakes
- Butternut Squash and Chicken Pasta Bake
17. Make 5 new-to-me sweet recipes
Swim in the sea
I swam in the sea in Malta! There were fish and super creepy… metal things on the sea floor (sea defences? I have no idea but they scared me!)
19. Be a book fairy on public transport 3 times
- London Euston Station Platform, The Breadwinner
- Euston Square Platform, Power Game
20. Blog every day for a month
21. Complete at least one of my colouring books from cover to cover
Host a dinner party
Hosted Christmas dinner for 7!!
23. Stay in 3 different hotels
- Radisson Blu, Golden Sands, Malta
- Comfotel Grn, Shepherds Bush Road, London
24. Get my ear pierced again (I have always wanted it doing at the top on the ear that sticks out more. It stands out anyway so I may as well decorate it, right?)
Volunteer at an event
- Joined the committee for the local Scout group! Lots of volunteering ahead.
26. Complete a High-Ropes course
27. Knit myself a cute fox scarf using this pattern
Get A Job
Started working at a Gingerbread Factory in November ’17!
Go to the theatre
Night At The Musicals, Theatre Severn, 25/06/2017
30.Visist a funky cocktail bar and drink awesome cocktails. Preferably with friends and not by myself like an almost-30 loner.