I am turning 29 next month, which means next year I’m going to have to go round all my social media and change the ‘twenty-something’ that has served me well for the last ten years to ‘thirty-something’ instead. Sigh. Effort.
It also means I feel like I should *do* something with this final period of twenty-somethingness. So why not 30 somethings, just for fun?
I will aim to update this page with how I’m doing on each thing as I go along. So you can cheer me on, or something.
EDIT: I have changed a couple of things from my original list because Life decided they were impractical. That’s all fine, I like to roll with the punches. I’ll still do 30 things in the end!
Here we go:
1. Read 30 books that are new to me:
- Second Lives by Scott K. Andrews, 4*
- One Italian Summer by Keris Stainton, 5*
- Release by Patrick Ness, 5*
- 1984 by George Orwell, 3*
- Animal Farm by George Orwell, 3.5*
- The Last Wild by Piers Torday, 5*
- Kook by Chris Vick, 4.5*
- Mama’s Boy and Other Dark Tales by Fran Friel, 2.5*
- Power Game by Christine Feehan, 3*
- Coping With Life After Stroke by Dr. Mareeni Raymond, 4*
- Cogheart by Peter Bunzl, 5*
- The Little Shop Of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan, 4*
- The Hunter’s Kind by Rebecca Levene, 4*
- Here I Stand by Amnesty International (Various Authors), 5*
- SweetFreak by Sophie McKenzie, 3*
- S.T.A.G.S. by M. A. Bennett, 5*
- Fire Colour One by Jenny Valentine, 5*
- The Things We Learn When We’re Dead by Charlie Laidlaw, 4*
- One Of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- The Call by Peadar Ó Guilín, 5*
- Rivers of London: Body Work by Ben Aaranovitch, 5*
- The House Of Doctor Dee by Peter Ackroyd, 3*
- Life On The Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers, 4*
- Death In The Stars by Frances Brody, 4*
- Night Of Cake And Puppets by Laini Taylor, 5*
- Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill, 4*
- La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman, 5*
- Turtles All The Way Down by John Green, 4*
- What Does This Button Do? An Autobiography by Bruce Dickinson, 5*
- After The Quake by Haruki Murakami, 4*
2. Watch 30 films that are new to me
- Speed (1994), 4.5*
- Captain America: Civil War (2016), 4*
- Clue (1985), 4.5*
- Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (2016), 4*
- Below Her Mouth (2016), 2.5*
- Wonder Woman (2017), 4*
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), 4*
- Cars 3 (2017), 4*
- Lego Batman (2017), 2*
- Nerve (2016), 4*
- Moana (2016), 4*
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage (2017), 3.5*
- Baywatch (2017), 4.5*
- Pixels (2015), 4*
- Wind River (2017), 3*
- Kubo & The Two Strings (2016), 3.5*
- Rogue One (2016), 5*
- The Last Jedi (2017), 5*
- Jack Frost (1998), 3*
- Shaun the Sheep (2004), 4*
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017), 5*
- Kingsman – The Golden Circle (2017), 4*
- King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword (2017), 4*
- The Secret Life Of Pets (2016), 3.5*
Acquire Scrabble and teach the kids to play it
Arthur made a kite at Beavers and we took it to the park on the next windy day and flew it together!
5. Walk up Snowdon
Visit 10 new-to-me National Trust/English Heritage properties/estates/sites
- Haughmond Abbey, English Heritage
- Acton Burnell Castle, English Heritage
- Wenlock Edge, National Trust
- Shugborough Estate, National Trust
- Buildwas Abbey, English Heritage
- Wenlock Priory, English Heritage
- Benthall Hall, National Trust
- Cantlop Bridge, English Heritage
- Beeston Castle, English Heritage
- Clun Castle, English Heritage
7. Have/book a spa day
8. Visit Hawkestone Park and climb to the top of the tower
9. Complete 3 cross-stitch cards
10. Make 3 new-to-me cocktails (and drink them, obviously)
11. Cycle 50 miles in total (not all at once!)
Running total: 11 miles
12. Eat out at 10 different restaurants
- River Thai, Shrewsbury
- Linkwood Lodge, Elgin
- The Featherbed, Shrewsbury
- The Royal Botanical Gardens, Edinburgh
- The Gingerbread Man, Market Drayton
- Foodsion, Market Drayton
- The Black Swan, in Derbyshire somewhere I think…
13. Eat something I have grown myself.
14. Try a new exercise class
Clubbercize! It was awesome, I’m going again!
Enter a virtual race, raise money for charity & get a funky medal.
- I have signed up to do either 5k, 10k or half marathon distance either running, walking or hiking during the month of June 2017 in aid of The Stroke Association.
- On June 3rd I completed a hike around and over Brown Clee Hill that was a little over 10km. (I took Caius with me, it was fun.)
- Funky Super Mario medal received!
- Signed up for a second 10k hike in November with my Mum!
- November walk done.
- Funky Direwolf medal received!
Make 5 new-to-me savoury recipes
- Shiitake Mushroom Risotto with Green Beans (and chicken nuggets to appease the kids!)
- Sang Choi Bao Turkey
- Campfire Stew (forgot to take a photo!)
- Brazilian-Style Fried Rice Cakes
- Butternut Squash and Chicken Pasta Bake
17. Make 5 new-to-me sweet recipes
Swim in the sea
I swam in the sea in Malta! There were fish and super creepy… metal things on the sea floor (sea defences? I have no idea but they scared me!)
19. Be a book fairy 3 times
- London Euston Station Platform, The Breadwinner
- Euston Square Platform, Power Game
Blog every day for a month
February 2018. Every. Single. Day. DONE!
21. Complete at least one of my colouring/puzzle books from cover to cover
Host a dinner party
Hosted Christmas dinner for 7!!
23. Stay in 3 different hotels
- Radisson Blu, Golden Sands, Malta
- Comfotel Grn, Shepherds Bush Road, London
- Leonardo Hotel, Edinburgh
24. Get my ear pierced again (I have always wanted it doing at the top on the ear that sticks out more. It stands out anyway so I may as well decorate it, right?)
Volunteer at an event
- Joined the committee for the local Scout group! Lots of volunteering ahead.
26. Complete a High-Ropes course
27. Knit myself something!
Get A Job
Started working at a Gingerbread Factory in November ’17!
Go to the theatre
Night At The Musicals, Theatre Severn, 25/06/2017
30.Visit a funky cocktail bar and drink awesome cocktails. Preferably with friends and not by myself like an almost-30 loner.